BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Sydney's Journey

Sydney was diagnosed with Muscular Torticollis and Plagiocephaly by her pediatrician on June 15, 2009.

Torticollis refers to a tightness or shortening of a muscle called the sternocleidomastoid. This muscle is located on the side of the neck and is responsible for forward flex and lateral bending of the head.

Plagiocephaly is referred to as the flattening or deformation of an infants head.

When torticollis is present it causes the infant to continually rest their head in the same position. This repetitive pressure contributes to the flattening of the skull, and consequently a prominence on the opposite side.

In Sydney's case she had limited rotation to the left thus causing her to constantly rest her head on the right side.

So after a visit with the Pediatric Neurosurgeon on June 23, 2009 it was confirmed that her case of Plagiocephaly and Torticollis would require intervention to correct.

So our journey began. We started with repositioning at home along with behavioral changes. We basically try to always remember to do things purposely to make her look to the left. In just a few short weeks we have already seen a big difference in her range of motion and her flat spot started to fill out just a tad.

July 3, 2009 we had our scan appointment for her Cranial Band (helmet). Wow was that an experience. I think more emotional then anything. I honestly thought I would go in and they would say the flat spot was not so bad and that we would not need the cranial band. But, no such luck.

July 10,2009 we went and picked up her helmet. It was very emotional. I just keep reminding myself I am doing what is best for my daughter.
She doesn't like the putting on and off part. But, I guess who would. Your shoving this foreign thing on her head that she can not take off.

The wearing of the helmet is gradual at first.
Day1: 1 hour on 1 hour off 3 times
Day2: 2 hours on 1 hour off 3 times
Day3: 4 hours on 1 hour off 3 times
Day4: 6 hours on 1 hour off 2 times
Day5: 8 hours on 1 hour off 2 times
Day6: 8 hours on and wear all night
Day7: Begin wearing 23 hours a day

We follow up frequently for adjustments as she her head grows. There is no real time frame as to how long she will have to wear this. But, from what I understand by 18-24 months infants skulls are fused and this treatment is no longer considered useful.

So we will see. I will update as we go.


Scan 7/3/09




Ready for fitting 7/10/09



Fitting 7/10/09



Day Two 7/11/09




Day Four 7/13/2009
We had to go for a minor adjustment today. Sydney is starting to roll over and when she moves a lot the helmet was shifting causing it to crimp her ear. They put in a foam shimmy on the area by her left cheek. I don't think they will be leaving it long cause it is making a red mark on her face. We go back Friday for our next follow up.



1 week follow up 7/17/2009 Even after the last adjustment and insertion of foam shimmy the helmet is still shifting. It ended up causing so much rubbing against her right ear that her earring hole started to bleed. So needless to say we had to remove her earrings. The next day I tried to put them back in and the holes were closed. Oh well we can always re-pierce them later down the road.
They tried a few more attempts at adjusting the cuts to allow proper spacing so the helmet wouldn't tough her ears. Still no such luck so the Orthotics place decided they needed to order a whole new helmet and basically start over on the cut outs. Glad this boo boo is on them cause I sure as heck wasn't gonna pay for another helmet.

1 and 1/2 weeks 7/22/2009 New helmet came in. This time the ear holes were not pre-started. So they were able to cut pretty perfectly to her ears. She was a real trooper. I thought she would totally freak out seeing she had not worn the helmet for 5 days. But, trooper she is she took to it and it was as if it was a permanent part of her.

After her appointment Tanner and I went to Chick Fil A and a lady came up to me and said "You know those work wonders." She proceeded to tell me all about her niece that just graduated from her helmet after 4 months. I have been pretty surprised at everyone's response to this. I really thought I would get more stares and smirks under the breath. I guess I under estimated humanity. :)

0 comments: